Highly skilled, well-trained drivers are key
Student safety is a top priority throughout the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District (TTUSD).
Our Transportation Department plays a significant role in ensuring student safety, and we are incredibly proud of our highly skilled and well-trained school bus drivers who transport 2,900 students to and from school each day.
At TTUSD, we select qualified staff and then support them with a rigorous training program that exceeds both state and federal requirements. For example:
- TTUSD trainees receive over 40 hours of classroom training -this is double the state requirement.
- TTUSD trainees receive 40-50 hours of behind the wheel training -this is double the state requirement.
- Before becoming a TTUSD school bus driver, drivers must pass a pre-trip and drive test with the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Our ongoing training program for all of our drivers includes:
- All school bus drivers are trained to drive in hazardous conditions including inclement weather.
- We have monthly safety meetings that are supported by frequent observations (ride-a-longs) and evaluations.
- BEST (Building Effective Schools Together) school bus lessons to support the social and emotional needs of our scholars.
- Anti-bullying program
- Side door evacuation drills
- Safe Schools Online Training
- Drivers receive a minimum of 10 hours each year of school bus driver training.
Additional safety measures TTUSD employs:
- All buses are equipped with Zonar GPS Tracking system which gives us the ability to monitor our school buses in real time to ensure that drivers are staying on route and not exceeding posted speed limits. We are alerted electronically when a bus travels over the posted speed.
- We have a school bus pass system that allows us to track students in real time.
- We have on board cameras which are regularly monitored by our Transportation Director.
- Our transportation department has a thorough vehicle inspection and preventative maintenance program.
- TTUSD school bus drivers carry a valid First Aid Certificate.
- All TTUSD school bus drivers must re-test with the CHP every five years.
Our district has a strong partnership with our local CHP office that supports student success through safe and efficient transportation. As part of our collaboration, the CHP recognizes safe driving records of the district’s bus drivers, each year, in five-year increments. This year, 10 of our school bus drivers were recognized. Combined, they had over 155 years of safe driving!
The following TTUSD School Bus Drivers were recognized:
- Katherine App - 35 years
- Denise Clark - 30 years
- Dina Krider - 20 years
- Nanette Rondeau - 20 years
- Phil Mix - 10 years
- Dawn Parkhurst -10 years
- Desiree Jones- 10 years
- Sherry Schlegel -10 years
- Jorge Maranon - 5 years
- LaVan Rassuchine - 5 years