Youth Health Initiative
Truckee North Tahoe (TNT) Youth Health Initiative
In 2015, a new coalition — dubbed the Youth Health Initiative — came together in Tahoe Truckee to look at the health needs of adolescents in the region. Partners include: Nevada and Placer Counties, Tahoe Forest Hospital, Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, and the Community Collaborative of Tahoe Truckee.
With federal funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration, the Youth Health Initiative hired a consultant and spent a year looking at best practices to improve the health and education outcomes of young people in the Truckee North Tahoe region.
The specific strategies of the Youth Health Initiative include:
WELLNESS NETWORK: Increase community connections, support and health navigation for youth.
- Create safe spaces for youth to spend time during the school day to connect with caring adults.
- Create a “circle of care” to increase communication and coordination among school-based supportive services.
- Grow opportunities for youth voice and leadership through peer-to-peer programming.
- Improve youth health literacy through education and connections to health resources.
- Improve access to health and wellness services through employing a Youth Health Navigator to improve access to care and health literacy.
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND SUBSTANCE USE SERVICES: Increase access to mental and behavioral health services.
- Improve access to mental health services through school-based therapists.
- Advance the drug-free culture of the schools through the expansion of Athlete Committed.
- Identify at-risk youth through increased use of What’s Up Wellness and other mental/behavioral health screenings.
- Create a professional development series on topics related to social emotional health and wellness (trauma, depression, etc).
ORAL HEALTH: Increase access to dental treatment and education for youth.
- Provide preventive oral health to students K-12.
- Increase access to dental treatment for youth who are under-insured by developing a pool of free or low cost dental care options.
REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH: Increase access to reproductive health resources and teen knowledge of reproductive health issues.
- Increase access to reproductive health resources particularly in the Kings Beach area.
- Increase teen knowledge of reproductive health issues through a school-linked public health nurse.