Dear Truckee Elementary Families,
Welcome back and welcome to the 2019-2020 school year for our Truckee El Cubs! I hope this message finds you all well and energized for a terrific school year because Truckee El teachers, principals, and staff are so excited for a year full of amazing teaching, learning, challenge, and fun! Lots of information will come to you before the first day of school on September 3!
I am proud and honored to be starting my second full year as principal of Truckee Elementary, our neighborhood school! I actually started at Truckee Elementary as a volunteer in special education in 1993; since then, I’ve returned as a parent of Truckee El Cub and then assistant principal before embracing this new role. Sarah DiPrinzio, our assistant principal, is also starting her second full year in this role after being our site psychologist! Ms. DiPrinzio is passionate about supporting and empowering students to be the best they can be on every level. We know that you’re very excited to learn more about your child’s teacher and the rest of the Truckee Elementary staff! As you surely know, every single one of us at TES is committed to supporting our diverse student population of Truckee on every level including very high expectations to achieve maximum success in reading, writing, listening, and speaking and across every content area as well as grow safe, responsible, and respectful students who are mindful, confident, and resilient. We all value Truckee El has a very special place that represents the wonderful diversity and awesomeness of our local Truckee community! We are our neighborhood school!
The purpose letter is to share some important news to prepare for school as well as share some celebrations. As families know, we send out a “Cub News” blast every Sunday with important upcoming events, communication, and tips to support your child to be most successful. Over the next two weeks, lots of information will come to you via email, so please watch your email inbox, texts, Truckee Elementary website, TTUSD website, and Truckee Elementary Facebook page closely for critical information. This letter is just a beginning!
Measure U Construction and Upgrades
Wait until you see the new spaces and changes ready for the first day! Here are just some:
- New east wing will house our Kindergarten, transitional Kindergarten, first grade, preschool, fitness room, and Special Day classes. The spaces are huge and beautiful!
- Main hallway has had lots of important upgrades including a new heating and air conditioning system, hot water in every classroom, new carpeting, new countertops, new furniture,new flooring in hallways, and even some fresh paint. The main hall will house our second, third, and fourth grades as well as our GATE/ accelerated learner, Resource special education, reading intervention, and science lab classrooms. Our community partner, the Family Room will be here this year too.
- Outside modulars have all new furniture and will be a special space for our fifth grade leaders as well as Resource special education, Vistas, reading intervention, and our music program classes!
- Brand new “Tot Lot” playground for our Kindergarten and preschool students
- Main playground is expanded back to its larger size finally! We will even have a couple new pieces of equipment coming, and there are so many wall ball walls!
What’s still to come? We still have one more full year of construction. It will be so worth it!
- Ten modulars were removed this summer, and the new cafeteria in the back of the school is underway! This will be done for fall 2020.
- The “old” cafeteria/ multipurpose room is now closed, and construction for the new huge library and the Learning Lab Maker space in that area has begun. This part of school will also include the new Boys and Girls Club space! This part of the project is scheduled to be done by spring 2020.
- Wait! Where will the students eat lunch if the old cafeteria is closed and the new one isn’t finished yet? We will use our East Gym as the cafeteria this year!
We have many people to welcome to Truckee Elementary staff and new positions
At Truckee El, we are preparing for an amazing year of teaching and learning that you’ll learn more about in our weekly Cub News and at Back to School Night on September 10. We are absolutely blessed to welcome the following people into new roles at TES this year:
- Melinda Astrup, Special Day Class instructional assistant
- Esmeralda Barajas, Special Day Class instructional assistant
- Tessie Boreen, beginning the year as English language development teacher
- Jen Cilmi, first grade teacher
- Melanie Cooke, instructional coach (full time)
- Ashley Cruttenden, preschool special education teacher
- Anna Davis moving to third grade
- Heidi Hendrickson, fifth grade teacher
- Heather Martinez, fourth grade enhancement professional
- Owen McIntosh, long term substitute music teacher
- Ana Meza, preschool Special Day Class instructional assistant
- Sue Mock, fifth grade teacher
- Marguerite Paras moving to second grade
- Denise Paquette, Kindergarten teacher (sharing with Georgie Garcia)
- Pablo Radilla, food services assistant
- Amanda Spitsen, Resource Program instructional assistant
- Krista Strecker, instructional coach (1.5 days per week)
- Sheviya Woelbing, Transitional Kindergarten teacher
What do families need to know and do now to prepare students for September 3?
- Complete your child’s Data Confirmation in the Aeries Portal as soon as possible and absolutely before September 3! This has critical information for parents to review and “sign” in order to be at school!
- If your child is a returning student, it's time to complete the 2019-2020 data confirmation process. Click here!
- Directions on how to complete the Data Confirmation are linked here. (Spanish version here.)
- If your child is new to TTUSD or entering transitional kindergarten, WELCOME! Register Here!
- Who is my child’s teacher? Once you complete the Data Confirmation process, you can find out who your child’s teacher is in the Aeries Parent Portal! Directions on how to find the teacher’s name in Aeries are linked here.
- Attend any of the school district’s workshops for assistance on data confirmation or enrollment questions. Here’s a link to the TTUSD calendar to show when and where these workshops are!
- Keep an eye on our website and Facebook! As we return back to prepare for the school year, we will update information about programs and staff.
- Use positive language to set your child up for a great return to school: “We get to start a new school year!” “What are you most excited about going back to school?” “The teachers, principals, and all the staff are so happy you’re coming to Truckee Elementary!”
Thank you so much, Truckee El families! You make our town a better place, and we are so looking forward to a terrific year with your child!
Sara Colborn, Principal
Sarah DiPrinzio, Assistant Principal
Some important dates for the beginning of the year:
Workshops for Enrollment and Data Confirmation August 20, 21, 22, 26, 27
Truckee Elementary Office opens August 26
First Day of School September 3
Begin 9:05 a.m.
Students can arrive after 8:45 a.m.
Dismiss 3:15 p.m.
Kinder and Transitional Kinder Orientation September 3: Attention! Parents
and TK/ K students only attend 10:00-11:00 a.m. on first day!
First Full Day for K/ TK Students September 4
Back to School Night September 10 5:30 p.m.
Picture Days TK, K, 1: September 17
Grades 4 and 5: September 18
Grades 2 and 3: September 19
Teachers’ Professional Development Day October 7 No school
Picture Retake Days October 15 and 16
Conference Week October 28-November 1 12:50 Dismissal
For the full list of TTUSD’s important dates, see this link at the TTUSD website.